Scripps College of Communication
The Ohio University Scripps College of Communication is a leader in communication education and is regarded as one of the top five programs in the nation. Since its founding more than 50 years ago, the Scripps College of Communication has grown from just two schools to five schools offering more than 40 nationally acclaimed programs.
The Scripps College of Communication offers the foundation for individuals seeking to blend creativity, knowledge, and practice so that our graduates have the freedom to direct their skills and move the world forward. In particular, we offer:
- Challenging coursework that holds our students to high expectations,
- An integrated curriculum that combines a variety of disciplines and ideas, and
- Student-driven media organizations, where students can apply these skills and gain experience that enables them to hit the ground running upon graduation.
More than 2,100 undergraduate students and 250 graduate students study in Scripps. All five of the Scripps College's schools have garnered national acclaim.
We are proud to showcase the Steven L. Schoonover Center for Communication, our brand new facility, now completed and housing, for the first time ever, all of our schools' faculty and staff under one roof. State-of-the-art laboratory spaces and flipped classrooms are just two of the many features in the new building.
Because we believe you should be able to support what matters most to you, you can designate your gift to any area you desire. We have several exciting current initiatives that will benefit from your generosity:
- Scholarship support: The Scripps College, aligned with Ohio University's research, has identified student support as a leading area of need. Donors can support student scholarships by supplementing existing scholarship accounts, or by setting up new endowed or non-endowed scholarship accounts.
- Internship and travel support: Students throughout the Scripps College of Communication are required to complete internships as part of their graduation requirements,¬ and we have many amazing opportunities with which to connect them. These include opportunities at "The Today Show" in NYC, the Associated Press in Israel, and many others. However, the cost of living in urban areas and overseas can be extremely cost-prohibitive, and many students end up declining great opportunities due to financial reasons. We have some internship support money to award, but not nearly enough to meet the number of requests we receive for both internship and study-abroad support. Donors can support students in need of internship or study-abroad support by supplementing existing accounts, or by setting up new endowed or non-endowed scholarship accounts.
- The Dean's Discretionary Fund: The Dean's Discretionary Fund is important to the Scripps College of Communication, as it provides flexible funding to special projects throughout our five schools. In the past, discretionary funding has allowed the college to explore new technology, like LiveU, a backpack system that allowed student reporters to do live reporting from any location with just the equipment in a specialized backpack. Discretionary dollars have also gone to support special projects for Scripps College student organizations, including national conference registration for the PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America) organization, new technology for ACRN (All Campus Radio Network), and a networking trip for members of NCASC (National Communication Association Student Club).
- The Steven L. Schoonover Center for Communication: The Steven L. Schoonover Center now houses faculty and staff from all five of our schools, and is also home to amazing lab and classroom space, including public speaking labs, a dedicated student support center, a collaborative learning classroom, photo studios, editing and listening labs, and more. Spaces are available for naming throughout the new building, starting at $15,000.
Your gift — no matter the amount — makes a huge difference at Scripps. Thanks, in advance, for your support!
To make an immediate gift to the Scripps College online using your credit or debit card, please visit www.ohio.edu/give.
To mail a gift, please make your check payable to The Ohio University Foundation. If you wish to designate your gift to a certain area, please write that in the memo line of the check. The mailing address is: The Ohio University Foundation PO Box 869 Athens, OH 45701-0869 If you prefer to make your gift over the phone, have questions about giving to the Scripps College, or would like to discuss other giving opportunities, please contact:
Executive Director of Development, Major Giving
McGuffey Hall 302