Chemistry Double Master's Estimated Program Cost
For Semesters at Ohio University
The current cost of Tuition & Fees for graduate studies while at Ohio University can be found on the Bursar's website.
For Five Months at Leipzig University (Student Budget Worksheet)
Estimated costs for five months, March through July, in Leipzig include typical living expenses (food, incidentals, etc.).
Estimates for 2018.
Billed by Ohio University
- Tuition and Fees: $0. Ohio University does not charge tuition for the Leipzig component of the program.)
- Fees: SIS ($33) & Technology ($97), totaling $130.
- UHP Health Insurance: $186. ($1.24 x approximately 150 days = $186)
To learn about billing deadlines, visit the Bursar's website.
- Passport and photos: $165.
- Round-trip airfare: $1,600.
- Residency Permit (135 Euro): $135.
- German Health Insurance (5 months): $550.
- Personal Expenses: Food (5 months): $2,075.
- Personal Expenses: Incidentals (5 months): $1,143.
- Cell Phone w Basic Plan ($20 per month): $100.
- Semester fee: (2x250 Euro) $500.
- Transportation within Leipzig: Public transportation around Leipzig is part of the social semester fee.
- Accommodation: $1,714.
- On-campus housing deposit: $400 (due on arrival, returned at end less any damages).
- Total Out-of-Pocket Costs: $8,382, estimated for five-month Leipzig stay.
Grand Total Estimated Student Cost: $8,698. These estimates are designed to aid in financial planning and are estimates only. Non program-related entertainment, souvenirs, and additional travel are not included in the above estimate and should be budgeted separately.
Visa policy: U.S. citizens can enter Germany without a visa; after arrival, a student has to organize his or her residence status within 90 days. The German immigration office requires a proof of ca. 700 EUR per month for the stay in Leipzig. The money has to be shown as available by scholarship confirmation, opening a blocked bank account at Deutsche Bank, bank statement or parents' confirmation. It is the student's responsibility to obtain current visa policy information directly from the German embassy or consulates in the student?s home country before making plans.
Exceptionally well-qualified students may be eligible for partial financial support, at the discretion of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at Ohio University and/or Leipzig University.