History of Geological Sciences
A Legacy Dating Back to 1823
Geology has a long history at Ohio University, with courses being taught at OHIO as early as 1823-26.
Geology education has had several phases in the history of Ohio University, from the initial teaching of mineralogy in the 1820s to the formation of the Botany and Geology Department in 1907, the Department of Geology and Geography in 1922, and finally the formation of the Department of Geological Sciences in 1969, with Myron Sturgeon as the first department chair.
The first Ph.D. degree awarded at Ohio University was in Geology to Franklin Carpenter in 1887. He was later president of the Dakota School of Mines.