Academic Assistance at the Academic Achievement Center
Summer Session 2020
The Academic Achievement Center (AAC) offers free academic assistance programs to all Ohio University students. From tutoring to reinforcing good study habits, we help students overcome difficulties they might have with coursework and collaborate with them in managing the challenges of academic life. Studies show that students who seek academic assistance tend to perform better in their classes and retain more information. We encourage all students to take advantage of our services by making an appointment online through TutorTrac or by calling the Academic Achievement Center at 740.593.8888.
The AAC Offers the Following Programs:
- Peer Tutoring: Schedule an appointment with our peer tutors who have expertise in many Ohio University courses. Once you make an appointment, your tutor will send you an email including a link to your tutoring appointment, which will be a Teams meeting. You and your tutor will be able to use chat, audio and/or video features, share documents, and work together on the whiteboard.
- Student Writing Center Tutoring: The writing center’s peer tutors provide writing assistance to all Ohio University students. These tutors can help at any stage of the writing process from discussing and organizing ideas to polishing a final draft. Writing tutors will not edit papers but will guide students in improving their writing strategies.
- College Study Skills Coaching: Qualified coaches collaborate with students to help them recognize what it takes to reach their full academic potential and to equip them with the strategies, supportive partnership, and personal accountability necessary to achieve academic success.
- Online Learning Navigation: Fellow students familiar with remote learning will help their peers navigate and succeed in the online educational environment. Students can call on these navigators to aid them in mastering online course organization, managing assignment details, finding helpful resources, and understanding the technology required to complete assignments.
The students who serve as tutors, coaches, and navigators are experts in their fields and trained following the College Reading and Learning Association guidelines on ethical standards and best practices. They are professionals who are eager to share their knowledge and proven techniques to help all Bobcats to get the most out of their university educations.
Summer Hours of Operation (Wednesday, May 13th through Friday, August 14th):
- Sundays through Thursdays from 2pm to 8pm
- Fridays from 9am to 3pm
- Other days and times available upon request
Summer Courses with Tutors Available:
- ACCT 1005, 1010
- BIOS 1300, 1310, 1700, 1710
- CHEM 1010, 1205, 1210, 1220, 1500, 1510, 1520, 2410, 3050, 3060
- CS 2400, 2401
- ENG 1510
- MATH D005, 1090, 1200, 1300, 1350, 2301, 2302, 2500, 3000, 3050, 3200, 3300, 3400
- MUS 1000
- NUTR 1000
- PHYS 2001, 2002, 2051
- PSY 1010, 1110, 2110
- QBA 1720
- SPAN 1110, 1120, 2110, 2120
- Other courses upon request
The mission of the Ohio University Chillicothe Student Success Center is to create and maintain a welcoming, supportive learning environment for students on campus and to address the immediate academic needs of students - of all levels of proficiency - through individualized peer-to-peer tutoring. These services are developed FREE of charge for all currently enrolled OHIO Chillicothe students.
The Student Success Center can be found adjacent to the Quinn Library, located in the Stevenson Center. The Student Success Center promotes student learning through the following programs:
- Math Center
- Writing Center
- Appointment-based, Academic Tutoring
During the fall and spring semesters, the Math and Writing Centers have staff on hand during university operating hours.
Peer Tutoring - Creating Confidence and Success
Our staff of peer math tutors offers FREE math assistance to students on a walk-in basis. NO APPOINTMENT IS NECESSARY. However, appointments may be requested for Individual Tutoring, Small Group Tutoring, Long-term Tutoring and Higher-Level Class Tutoring.
Please bring textbooks and detailed copies of class notes. Computers are available to support online learning platforms. Remember, tutor assistance is to supplement and support your classroom experience, not to substitute for it!
Sign in at the computer station and ask if a tutor is available for your math class. All tutors can assist with Math courses: D003, D004, D005, 1200, and 1300. Tutors are available at select times for Math courses: 1090, 1101/1102, 2301 and 2500. *Please note that not all tutors can help with every math class.
Experience the expertise of our well-prepared and friendly tutors. Our tutors can assist with assignments and help you to understand concepts! Please note that it is against policy for tutors to assist directly with graded assignments, take-home exams and quizzes, Knowledge Checks (ALEKS), Certify (HAWKES), etc…
Whether you are researching, writing a first draft, double-checking citations, or just sitting scratching your head, the Writing Center can help you with your writing projects. Our staff of trained and skilled writing tutors offers individual sessions Monday through Friday.
Contact the Student Success Center to set up an appointment or for walk-in tutoring on a first-come, first-serve basis. In addition, the Student Success Center has (10) PC computers and (2) Mac computers for accessing web sites designed to accompany writing textbooks (when these are on-line and available), as well as useful writing and grammar web sites.
Remember, the Student Success Center also offers:
- MLA /APA Workshops
- Writing Contests
- Publication Opportunities through Glass Enclosures
- Presentations (upon instructor’s request)
- Guides and Helpful Handouts
In accordance with both University codes regarding academic honesty and time-proven learning strategies, the Student Success Center follows these policies:
Students are responsible for their own writing projects. We do not write any part of a student's essay; however, we are happy to discuss effective writing strategies at length.
- Do not proofread or edit student essays. Instead, we help identify individualized patterns of error that can be corrected, helping to strengthen the writer’s strategies beyond the single assignment.
- Do not evaluate or estimate grades. The instructor of record is the only one who can do that.
- Adhere to the Ohio University Student Handbook in terms of defining “cheating,” “academic misconduct,” and “plagiarism”; such dishonesty or deception will not be tolerated.
Appointment-Based, Academic Tutoring
Tutoring in other subject areas (such as Sign Language, Spanish, French, Art History, Women and Gender Studies, History, Political Science, Sociology, and others) can often be arranged. If you are in need of tutoring assistance for a class other than math or writing, please notify your instructor to determine if options are available through the Student Success Center.