Vice Provost for Global Affairs and International Studies
Lorna Jean Edmonds, Ph.D.
Dr. Lorna Jean Edmonds is the Vice Provost for Global Affairs and International Studies at OHIO. She also serves as the Director of the Center for International Studies and as a Professor of Health Sciences and Professions.
Dr. Edmonds joined OHIO in 2013 after having worked in four of Canada’s research-intensive universities. She served as the University of Toronto’s Assistant Vice President, International Relations; Executive Advisor, Research, University of Ottawa; Executive Director, International Research and Advancement, Western University; and Director, Research Services and the Director, International Center for the Advancement of Community Based Rehabilitation, Queen’s University. Dr. Edmonds plans to retire as Ohio University's Vice Provost for Global Affairs and International Studies, effective August 15, 2020.
Dr. Edmonds’ expertise in higher education strategy, research performance, public/private sector collaboration, and globalization is based upon more than 20 years of experience in academia, government relations and international development. She has extensive international experience, working with universities, governments, industry and research funding and development agencies, and banks in more than 60 countries in Asia, the Americas, Europe and Africa.
In addition, Dr. Edmonds is an active contributor to the internationalization of higher education, university-public/private sector collaboration, international development, and new frontiers in science and scholarship with a particular interest in trend analysis, managing social change and space relations. She serves on several international boards including the National Academy of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine International Research Collaborations Working Group, the Illuminate Consulting International Academic Advisory Board, and the Policy and Law Track (Co-Chair) of the NSS International Space Development Conference in 2016. She received her Ph.D. at the University of East Anglia, UK, her M.H.A. at the University of Ottawa, CAN, and her B.A. (Sciences) at Queen’s University, CAN.
Recent publications from Dr. Edmonds include:
- "Global Space Governance: An International Study," Edited by Ram. S Jakhu and Joseph N. Pelton, (Springer Press, 2017), Lead Author of Chapter 22, "Capacity-Building in Global Space Governance."
If you would like to check the availability of Dr. Edmonds’ schedule or have her appear or speak at an event, please contact Kate McClure at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 740-593-1838.
Interview with the Vice Provost
Dr. Edmonds recently spoke on the WATH Radio program "Partyline:" in Athens. WATH, which has more than 14,000 listeners, is heard on 970 AM and 97.1 FM. The Partyline program is presented each weekday at 9:00 a.m.
You can listen to a recording of the interview here.
- Building Ohio University’s capacity to be intentionally global by leveraging its history, excellence and network to further define, strengthen and communicate its quality, reach and impact.
- Advancing a diverse, inclusive and enabling environment for the success of all.
- Creating a positive and productive work and policy environment that is synergistic, combining stability with dynamic capabilities for continued transformation consistent with current demands, trends and opportunities within and external to the university and the United States.
- Advancing scholarship and public discourse around questions related to the governance of space and the world within it, and the imperative for global cooperation, otherwise referred to as universalization.