Daniel K.C. Shao Scholarship
The Daniel K.C. Shao Scholarship is for student studying abroad or conducting research in Asia.
- Semester or academic year – students required to enroll for 12 OHIO credits, or the full-time equivalent, during each term abroad.
- Summer programs – students required to enroll for a minimum of 6 OHIO credits, or the equivalent.
- Independent/graduate research - students required to work with faculty on research plan.
- For students studying abroad or conducting research in Asia.
- OHIO undergraduate or graduate students in good academic standing
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Students must have their study abroad or research experiences planned at the time of application; the program must be an approved part of their degree program. Visit the Office of Global Opportunities for more information.
Application and Essay Instructions
Complete applications must include the following items. Please make sure your essay and DARS or transcript and ready before you proceed as you will need to upload them as part of your application.
- Personal Essay - In a 1-2 page, single-spaced essay, explain your interest in Asia, the education abroad program you have selected, and why you have chosen that program. If you have previously studied, worked or lived abroad in Asia, please provide a brief description of the experience(s) or program(s). For internships and/or independent study programs, please include a detailed explanation of proposed project/area of research.
- DARS - The most current copy of your DARS or a transcript from OHIO. Note: graduate students, who have completed only one semester of study at OHIO will be asked to submit an undergraduate transcript.
- 2 Reference Letters - This application requires two reference letters addressing the selection criteria listed. Must be received by the Office of Global Opportunities no later than March 1 at 5 p.m. See scholarship application for more information. References should be emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Range from $500-$1500
11:59pm on March 1, 2020
Note that this application must be completed in one login session. Your changes will not be saved prior to submitting. Read the application instructions carefully to make sure you have the required information and materials ready.