If you're interested in making a global experience part of your academic career at Ohio University, you've come to the right place. The Office of Global Opportunities can provide information on opportunities to study, intern, work, volunteer, teach or travel abroad and away. Our office can help you find an experience that's right for you regardless of your major, college of enrollment or academic level.
Meet with an advisor
- Come to walk-in advising hours 10-4 PM, Monday - Friday in the Walter International Education Center
- Call 740.593.4583 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment with an advisor. OGO now offers virtual appointments via Microsoft Teams (you can join a Teams meeting anytime, from any device, whether or not you have a Teams account). Please note all meetings scheduled before the beginning of Fall semester will be by Teams or on the phone, please state your preference at the time you schedule.
How to apply
- Application for Ohio University Study Abroad Programs and Exchanges
- For Non-OU and affiliate programs application instructions vary. Visit OGO for instructions on how to register with OHIO university and how to apply through your selected provider.
- Application deadlines
Financial Aid and Funding
- List of available scholarships and funding opportunities
- Guide to using financial aid and scholarships for Global Programs [Word]
Connect with us
- Meet with an advisor
- Meet our staff
- Read our blog
- Follow us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter
- Follow us on Instagram
Step One: Determine your goals for study abroad
What would you like to accomplish while you're abroad or away? Do you want to…
- Earn credit to progress towards graduation or take unique classes you may not be able to take at Ohio University?
- Live with a host family in another country or experience living in a different setting?
- Gain practical experience in your field?
- Study a foreign language?
- Study in a specific location or region of the world?
- Go away for a short or long period of time?
Thinking through these questions in advance will help you narrow down your options. For more questions to consider as you shape your goals, visit choosing a program.
Step Two: Gather Information
Check out the Office of Global Opportunities website for information about various programs
Meet with a study abroad advisor – Visit the Office of Global Opportunities during walk-in advising hours (10-4 PM Mon-Fri) or make an appointment with an advisor. Your advisor will help you identify programs abroad that are appropriate to your academic needs, personal interests, and budget.
- Consult with your academic advisor
- Investigate scholarship opportunities
- Non-US citizens should consider the entry requirements for their host country and potential visa issues.
- If time is short, apply for a passport immediately
Step Three: Choose a program and apply
For students applying to an OHIO-Study Abroad or Exchange Program, the application is available online.
Students applying to an affiliate, OIC or Non-OU Program should follow the application instructions listed on the organization's website. If you have questions about applying for any type of program, please consult with your study abroad advisor.
Step Four: Upon acceptance, begin paperwork
The type of paperwork you are required to submit depends upon your program type. See our Forms page for more information, or consult your study abroad advisor. For Ohio University programs, your faculty director or exchange coordinator will facilitate this during orientation.
Step Five: Prepare for your experience
- Research your host country through literature, film, online newspapers or travel guides
- Plan to attend Bobcats Abroad, the mandatory pre-departure orientation session presented by the Office of Global Opportunities.
- For OHIO programs: Attend all orientation sessions given by your director or program coordinator
- For Non-OHIO programs: Read all information supplied by your program provider
- Review the Student Handbook