OHIO's Partnerships in Malaysia
- Named in honor of the second Prime Minister of Malaysia, the Tun Abdul Razak Chair was established at Ohio University in 1980 in cooperation with the Malaysian government and the American private sector. It was the first endowed chair of its kind in Malaysia and in the United States.
- The Malaysian Resource Center was established in 1987 and designated the sole depository for Malaysian publications and materials by Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, the 5th Prime Minister of Malaysia. Alden Library also has received library materials since the late 1980's from the National Library of Malaysia as OHIO serves as the official Depository for Malaysian publications in North America.
- The Institute for Corrosion and Multiphase Technology (Russ College of Engineering) research collaboration with Petronas (the National Petroleum Company of Malaysia) from 2008 through 2013.
- OHIO and Malaysian Universities such the University of Malaya, Taylor's University and the University Kuala Lumpur (UniKL) have had partnerships.
- More than 1,500 active OHIO alumni living in Malaysia is the largest alumni group outside of the state of Ohio. A large number of OHIO alumni now work for the government, in the private sectors, in the Sarawak and Sabah Civil Service, and for UiTM and UniMAP. Three OHIO alumni in Malaysia have received Tan Sri honors. "Tan Sri" is the second most senior federal title and an honorific title used to denote recipients of the Panglima Mangku Negara (PMN) and the Panglima Setia Mahkota (PSM).
- Honorary Degrees from Ohio University
- 2013 - The Honorable Dato' Sri Mohd Najib Tun Abdul Razak (former PM) was awarded a Doctor of Humane Letters.
- 1991 - Tan Sri Dr Ani Arope, former Executive Chairman of the largest electric company (TENAGA) in Malaysia
- 1990 - His late Royal Highness, Tuanku Jaafar (the 10th Supreme King of Malaysia). He was responsible for the initial collaboration between OHIO and Malaysia in 1965.
- 1981 - the late Tun Hussein Onn (Prime Minister at that time)
- 1973 - Tan Sri Arshad Ayub, the Director of ITM and the person most responsible for the strategic collaboration between OU and UiTM.
- OHIO has been offering Bahasa Malaysia since 2013.
Areas of Partnership
- Center for International Studies houses the Tun Abdul Razak Chair since 1981. The duties of the Chair include teaching, conducting research, and organizing outreach activities.
- College of Business has an MOU signed with Universiti Malaysia Perlis (UNIMAP).
- College of Health Sciences and Professions (led by Professor Brooke Hallowell in Communication Sciences and Disorders) has an active program with UKM in the area of Alzheimer's Management and Aging and Healthcare.