Our Guide to Getting Outside
Research has shown that time spent outdoors provides significant benefits to one's mental health. Gain ideas, tips, tricks, and strategies to ensure you are comfortable getting outdoors during the COVID-19 Pandemic, brought to you by Campus Recreation's Outdoor Pursuits program.
Field Notes from OP
- Kelsey and Jordan visited Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Check out their trip report
- Keep an eye out for more trip reports!
- The Ridges Trail Map- Head out for some hiking right across the river from campus
- Strouds Run State Park Trail Map- The trails of our very own state park right here in Athens
- Sells City Park- Don't miss this hidden gem right off East State Street
- Lake Hope State Park- If you have a bit more time, take a quick drive over to see the old brick kilns that built Athens
- Burr Oak State Park- A short trip outside of Athens could lead you to this beautiful place
Tips, Tricks and Best Practices
- Remember to stay 6 feet apart. You can still practice social distance running, hiking or walking with friends!
- Stay local, traveling to other communities puts them at risk (sorry, no visiting your favorite climbing crag for a while)
- Smile and Say Hi. A smile is contagious, but not dangerous. Make your daily outing an opportunity to say hi and see other people. Just remember to keep 6 feet of distance between you and others.
- Join an online support group, encourage your friends, create challenges among your group
- Schedule it into your day, go outside NO MATTER WHAT
- Take advantage of your local parks (but remember that the facilities might be closed)
- Get creative! Always wanted to build a bouldering wall at home? Plant a garden? No better time than now
Interested in seeing what the OP team is up to? Check out our Strava club at: Ohio University Outdoor Pursuits