Charles J. Ping Recreation Center
Ping Center Fall 2020 Hours*:
Monday - Friday: 6 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Sunday: 12 p.m. - 9 p.m.
*Hours subject to change for University Breaks and Holidays
September 7 (Labor Day): 6 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Please note new COVID operations and protocol for the Ping Center
- There will be a capacity of 150 users in the facility
- The Ping Center will be open to students enrolled on the Athens campus and Ping Center members ONLY
- Patrons will enter through the left set of doors at the front of Ping and exit through the right (note the signs on the doors)
- Patrons will swipe their own ID cards, sanitize their hands and completing a self-assessment when entering the facility
- Users are required to wear a face mask in the facility at all times. If you become faint while exercising, stop the activity immediately, sit down and remove your face mask. If possible let a staff member know you need assistance
- Personal Training Pods
- Racquetball Courts
- 3rd Floor/Track
- F45 Studio
- Cycling Studio
- Studio 217
- Lockers, showers, and day-use lockers will be unavailable. If you have an assigned locker, please email CampusRec@ohio.edu to setup a time to retrieve your belongings
- Restrooms will remain open
- No towels will be provided
- No rental equipment or resale will be available
- We encourage you to bring your own water. Touch-less bottle fillers will be available, but water fountains will be offline.
- We will not be collecting lost and found
- Basketball hoops will be unavailable. Courts will remain open for non-contact physical activity
- Restrooms and high touch points will be cleaned and disinfected on an ongoing basis
- Do not share towels and wipes
- We request that you limit to one piece of equipment at a time and wipe down all equipment after use
- All patrons are required to maintain a physical distance of 6 feet from others, including shared households
- No spotting will be permitted
Live usage data for various spaces in the facility can be found in the link below. This information is updated every hour. Areas that are closed are noted in red with the word closed. Patrons are advised to check facility usage levels prior to coming to the Ping Center.
The Charles J. Ping Recreation Center is a 168,000 square foot recreation facility, spanning 3 floors. Ping is home to a free standing, 36-foot tall, double-sided climbing wall, five basketball/volleyball courts, two multipurpose gymnasiums, an elevated four-lane indoor running track, six racquetball courts, free weight areas and two group fitness rooms that host combative sports, aerobic, fitness and dance classes.
Group Fitness Classes
Climbing Wall Hours
The climbing wall is currently closed.
For more information, see COVID-19 Response.
A strict ID policy is enforced when entering the Charles J. Ping Student Recreation Center. Everyone should be prepared to show his or her valid ID (i.e. Ohio University student or faculty/staff photo ID). No one will be permitted into an activity area of the Ping Center without proper ID — this includes students enrolled in academic classes. If a question arises as to the validity of the presented ID, a second form of ID may be required. A photo of an ID is not valid and will not be accepted.
Ping Members have one free forgiveness pass if they forget their OHIO ID (valid for one academic year), but must show a valid government photo identification to gain access. A photo of an ID is not valid and will not be accepted.
Child Access Policy
All children that are participating must purchase a day pass or membership to use the Ping Center.
Children age 0-4 are not permitted in any areas of the Ping Center except the Business Office or on facility tour.
Children ages 5-15 are permitted in the facility with adult supervision during operational hours. Children ages 5-15 are not permitted on any fitness equipment or in the Functional Fitness Room, Weight Room, or cardio areas. Children over the age of 5 are not permitted in opposite gender bathrooms
Children ages 16-17 are permitted in the facility with adult supervision during operational hours and are permitted on exercise equipment.