WHAT GUIDES SPACE PLANNING?
Next to personnel, expenditures on campus space are one of the largest investments at the University. Effective management of our space resources is critical to the success of Ohio University's academic mission. University Planning provides comprehensive strategic, capital, and facilities space planning for our campuses, and we are the primary source for the development of space programs during the planning process.
Space Planning Principles
- Supports the Strategic Plan
- Effective space planning and management supports Ohio University’s Strategic Plan and Comprehensive Master Plan. Space planning policies and procedures also align with long-term development, academic, and support unit operational plans. Success will improve capital project planning processes and campus master plan outcomes.
- Transparent & Data Informed
- Effective space management is logical, transparent, and data-informed. Comprehensive policies and consistent, documented procedures promote allocation of campus space according to demonstrated and/or forecasted needs.
- Highest & Best Utilization
- Space is a financial resource and is efficiently and effectively utilized to its highest and best use for the University as a whole. Campus space is a critical and limited University resource, which is allocated in a manner that best supports University priorities.
- Shared Space Resources
- The University’s impact on and ability to share resources with the community is considered when evaluating space. Space partnerships promote a sense of community and also facilitate success in interdisciplinary initiatives.
- Living/Learning Environments
- The University considers Living/Learning Environments whenever possible to enhance the academic mission in places where students live and interact. Renovation of existing facilities and construction of new residential facilities considers the opportunity to enhance these environments as well as recognize existing space resources on the campus.
- Synergies of Sector Planning
- Space management considers and plans with inherent efficiencies and synergies of sector planning, with the highest priority given to instructional facilities and academic support at the center of campus.
- Swing Space Reserve
- The University reserves adequate swing space for construction projects, program growth expansion, and unexpected or emergency needs. Flexibility in the overall university footprint is maintained for existing or new program growth needs.