Career Services - Faculty
Additional Career Services Information:
- Zanesville Career Services Information
- Career Resources
- Career Services Info for Employers
- Career Services Info for Faculty & Staff
Take professional education to the next level by having a Career Services staff member visit your class or student organization. Career Services workshops are one hour (unless denoted otherwise) and designed to be completed in one class session. You can request up to three workshops, per class or group, each semester.
Career Services Outreach Presentation
Encourage awareness of Career Services and its many resources among your students or members. This 15-minute introduction to the office of Career Services explores the variety of services and resources offered including an overview of coaching services, leadership workshops, and career events.
Students will leave this presentation with an understanding of how to engage with Career Services and how our services and resources best fit their needs.
Career Readiness Training Program
Equip your students with the tools and resources to be successful in the job and internship search process. Students can earn the Career Readiness Training Program by completing three workshops, a 30 minute career coaching appointment, and a mock interview.
The Career Readiness Training Program is free and does not require registration beforehand.
Who Are You and Why Should I Care?
Keys to Networking Success
- Have you ever heard the saying, "It's not what you know, it's who you know?" Well, that is often true, but the statement should be edited to say, "It's not what you know; it's who you know, and what they know about you!"
- This workshop will allow participants to reflect on their personal leadership brand and discuss how to leverage their individual leadership brands for professional networking. Participants will develop an elevator pitch and discuss how to utilize LinkedIn and informational interviews for networking success.
Creating the Perfect Resume and Cover Letter
- JOB SKILLS. TRANSFERRABLE SKILLS. ADAPTIVE SKILLS. Um, what? If you're not sure what these different skills are or how they relate to resume and cover letter, this workshop is a great fit for you. Sharpen resume and cover letter knowledge by participating in this interactive workshop. Participants receive general tips and tricks about the development of professional documents, learn how to personalize these to fit their unique style, and increase their understanding of the content that should (or should not) be included in a resume and cover letter.
Hunting & Gathering
Job Search and Interviewing
- Are you clueless about how to find a job or an internship? Do you feel anxious about the interview process? This workshop will help demystify the job search process and help prepare participants for the job interview. Explore resources to create a job search plan and identify tips for preparation before, during, and after the interview.
At Career Services, we know that collaboration with faculty and staff is essential to our goal of engaging with students. Best practice in career development calls for infusing professional training into every aspect of a student’s education. It’s a daunting charge, but our office isn’t holding back in its efforts to fully integrate with OHIO’s colleges and support units. In order to do this, we rely on lasting partnerships—and we're always seeking innovative approaches to reaching students.
Below you will see some common ways faculty and staff partner with our team.
Host a Workshop for Students
Supplement your course instruction or student training by hosting a Career Services workshop in your classroom or department. Workshops are one hour long and cover a range of career and leadership topics. You can include up to three workshops per semester in any individual class to help students complete work towards a Leadership Certificate. Workshops are also a great tool for enhancing student staff’s leadership skills as a professional development offering.
Refer Students to Career Services
Be an advocate for Career Services by promoting our services and events to students and alumni. Consider recommending career coaching and mock interviews as excellent one-on-one professional development opportunities. Topics often addressed in these meetings include: connecting career opportunities to specific majors, building self-awareness, perfecting written application materials, developing professional skills for effective interviewing, and using LinkedIn to research alumni career paths.
Collaborate on Course Projects
Partner with Career Services to support your course assignments. This collaboration could take many forms: require students to attend a Career Services event, participate in a leadership workshop, or incorporate an employer case study. Every faculty member’s interests are different, and we want to work to customize this collaboration to your class goals. Please contact us to plan for your specific needs so we can provide the best level of support for you and your students.
Host an Employer in Your Classroom
Facilitate connections between your students and employers by inviting an employer to visit your class. Consider hosting an employer in a class session, coordinating a site visit, or hosting a case study.
The transition to Handshake represents a significant milestone in the continuing evolution of our office and the way in which we deliver services to our students, alumni, employers, and you, the faculty and staff of Ohio University Zanesville.
Use Handshake to Share Job & Internship Opportunities with Your Students
Career Services will set you up with a student account which will allow you to demonstrate Handshake to your students, search for relevant opportunities to share with your students, and more. Career Services will provide Handshake demonstrations for university faculty and staff – see below more information.
Handshake allows students to:
- Upload a resume and complete an online career profile
- Share an online career profile and resume with employers
- Search for and apply to open positions
- Learn which employers are attending upcoming Career & Internship Fairs
- View upcoming local and on-campus career events
- Research contact information for local and national employers
Handshake Hints & Training:
Handshake provides free access to a variety of on-line resources and help tutorials.
- Handshake's online training website
- Student: 2-minute how-to videos
- Employer: Getting Started with Handshake
- Employer: 2-minute how-to videos