Academic Assistance at the Academic Achievement Center
Summer Session 2020
The Academic Achievement Center (AAC) offers free academic assistance programs to all Ohio University students. From tutoring to reinforcing good study habits, we help students overcome difficulties they might have with coursework and collaborate with them in managing the challenges of academic life. Studies show that students who seek academic assistance tend to perform better in their classes and retain more information. We encourage all students to take advantage of our services by making an appointment online through TutorTrac or by calling the Academic Achievement Center at 740.593.8888.
The AAC Offers the Following Programs:
- Peer Tutoring: Schedule an appointment with our peer tutors who have expertise in many Ohio University courses. Once you make an appointment, your tutor will send you an email including a link to your tutoring appointment, which will be a Teams meeting. You and your tutor will be able to use chat, audio and/or video features, share documents, and work together on the whiteboard.
- Student Writing Center Tutoring: The writing center’s peer tutors provide writing assistance to all Ohio University students. These tutors can help at any stage of the writing process from discussing and organizing ideas to polishing a final draft. Writing tutors will not edit papers but will guide students in improving their writing strategies.
- College Study Skills Coaching: Qualified coaches collaborate with students to help them recognize what it takes to reach their full academic potential and to equip them with the strategies, supportive partnership, and personal accountability necessary to achieve academic success.
- Online Learning Navigation: Fellow students familiar with remote learning will help their peers navigate and succeed in the online educational environment. Students can call on these navigators to aid them in mastering online course organization, managing assignment details, finding helpful resources, and understanding the technology required to complete assignments.
The students who serve as tutors, coaches, and navigators are experts in their fields and trained following the College Reading and Learning Association guidelines on ethical standards and best practices. They are professionals who are eager to share their knowledge and proven techniques to help all Bobcats to get the most out of their university educations.
Summer Hours of Operation (Wednesday, May 13th through Friday, August 14th):
- Sundays through Thursdays from 2pm to 8pm
- Fridays from 9am to 3pm
- Other days and times available upon request
Summer Courses with Tutors Available:
- ACCT 1005, 1010
- BIOS 1300, 1310, 1700, 1710
- CHEM 1010, 1205, 1210, 1220, 1500, 1510, 1520, 2410, 3050, 3060
- CS 2400, 2401
- ENG 1510
- MATH D005, 1090, 1200, 1300, 1350, 2301, 2302, 2500, 3000, 3050, 3200, 3300, 3400
- MUS 1000
- NUTR 1000
- PHYS 2001, 2002, 2051
- PSY 1010, 1110, 2110
- QBA 1720
- SPAN 1110, 1120, 2110, 2120
- Other courses upon request
Room 121, 740-588-1510
Hours of Operation (hours subject to change):
- Monday - Thursday: 10:00am-6:00pm
- Friday: 9:00am-4:00pm
- Free tutoring for any 1000 or 2000 level class
- Tutoring for ALL writing assignments, NOT just for English class
- Tutoring for all stages of the writing process:
- Topic Selection
- Citing Resources
- Final Revisions
To request tutoring, please complete a tutor request form (docx) available at the Student Success Center, in Elson Hall, room 116.
Interested in Being a Tutor?
- Tutors must have a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA
- Earn a B+ or higher in the course you wish to tutor
- Currently enrolled at Ohio University Zanesville
- Complete one semester of course work at OHIO University
- Faculty recommendation is required
- Participation in training sessions is required